Zanzibar Legal Services Centre (ZLSC) provides free legal services, counselling and advice to the disadvantaged sections of Zanzibar society, especially the poor, marginalised and disadvantaged and particularly women, children, people living with disability and the elderly. It also advocates for the observance, protection and respect of human rights in the country.
1. Job Title: Advocate
The Centre seeks for an Advocate should be energetic, mature, non-partisan Zanzibari or
Tanzanian based in Zanzibar and Pemba in particular.
Purpose of the job
Representing Children in Conflict with the Law in Juvenile Court, Primary, District, Resident Magistrate and High court of Zanzibar.
The Qualifications and Experience
– A holder of Bachelor’s degree in Law from a recognized University.
– An advocate of the high court of Zanzibar.
– Should be computer literate.
– Have working experience of not less than two years.
– A well knowledge of dealing with children in conflict with the law, juvenile justice,
children’s Act and international instruments relating to children welfare.
– Experience in advocacy, lobbying and training around on human rights and Civic
– Be fluent for both spoken and written Kiswahili and English.
– Be of impeccable character, a team player, sociable and able to work under pressure.
The Advocate will have the following responsibilities:
– Work close with senior program officer in the preparation of juvenile cases as may be
– Promote bail options, non custodial sentences and dismissal/ discharge for juvenile
delinquencies with the purposes of upholding due processes guarantees.
– Represent children in conflict with the law before the courts of law.
– Work in close co-operation with the police, prosecutors, social welfare officers, the
courts and magistrates, child protection team in Zanzibar and ministry of empowerment,
social welfare, youth, women and children.
– Support the court social welfare officers to make linkages with the district and ward child
protection teams and community support programmes.
– Support the community rehabilitation team in order to facilitate non custodial options.
– Perform any other duty assigned by your supervisor.
Duration of the Contract
Position is for six months.
Attractive salary package will be offered to a candidate with the right qualifications, skills,
experience and integrity for both positions.
All applications will be received before 22 nd November, 2017.
Mode of Application:
Interested persons should apply in writing and submit copies of certificates, curriculum vitae,
passport size photograph and a list of three reputable referees who should be asked to send their
references directly to the following address:
The Acting Executive Director,
Zanzibar Legal Services Centre,
P.O. Box 3360 Zanzibar, Tanzania.